Ab Crunches - Get a Flat Stomach You Can Be Proud Of
You don’t have to be a fitness geek to get a flat stomach. Ab crunches exercises are the best ab workouts when it comes to toning abdominal muscles. Here I will show you how to perform effective crunches that will target both lower and upper abs to tone your stomach and lose belly fat.
When it comes to flat stomach exercises, ab crunches are most common and effective exercises to tone stomach muscles. It directly targets rectus abdominis muscle group.
Dr. McGill, a renowned health expert in 2009 stated:
"An approved crunch begins with you lying down, one knee bent, and hands positioned beneath your lower back for support. Do not hollow your stomach or press your back against the floor, McGill says. Gently lift your head and shoulders, hold briefly and relax back down."But crunches alone cannot help in spot toning abs and reduction in stomach fat. To achieve six pack abs, not only abdominal muscle exercises are required but also fat loss from the abdomen area as well as losing fat from all over the body.
Ab crunches results differs from person to person. They might work for one person but not for other. As I have stressed everywhere on this site, it’s not possible to tone your stomach and abs without first change in your diet plan and doing complete body exercises. You also need to bring down your body fat percentage somewhere between 10-15 % in order to get a six pack abs.
To get perfect six pack abs, you should not accumulate more weight in or around your stomach. Your body will not respond to any stomach workouts that way. Also performing ab crunches on the stomach after consuming more calories and fats will not be of any use because you will be adding fat as well as muscles to your stomach at the same time. This might lead your stomach to grow even more.
You need to eat lots of lean proteins and less fatty foods by changing your diet, consume less junk foods and then only the ab workouts will be effective.
Now let’s see the type of crunches and how to perform them effectively to get desired results.
There are three types of best ab crunches. They are basic crunch, the reverse crunch and the oblique crunch. The basic crunch helps in toning upper abdominal muscles while the reverse crunch works on lower abs. The oblique crunch helps in toning the side stomach muscles near the love handles area.
The Basic Crunch – Learn How To Do Perfect Ab Crunches
Many people fail when it comes to performing crunches perfectly and efficiently to have maximum impact. Follow the below steps to perform effective basic crunches:
1) Lie straight on your back on the floor with your legs stretched.
2) Put your hands below your head and pull your legs towards the hips ending in bending of the knees.
3) Slowly lift your upper body 2-3 inches against the floor contracting your abdominal muscles.
4) Breathe out while you are coming up trying to keep your neck straight.
5) Keep your upper body raised from the floor for 2-3 seconds and continue breathing.
6) Now slowly bring your upper body down without relaxing in between.
7) Repeat for 15 to 20 repetitions with perfect form for each rep.
8) Repeat the above steps 10-15 times properly.
You can perform 2-3 sets of the above steps by taking 60-90 seconds break between each set. Doing crunches on the exercise ball increases the difficulty of these basic crunches.
The Reverse Crunch Ab Exercise
This ab workout exercises the lower abdomen. Follow the below steps to perform effective reverse crunches:
1) Lie on your back with knees bent and feet on the floor.
2) Keep your feet flat touching the floor and keep your hands on the floor.
3) Pull your knees up towards your chest and bend them.
4) Slowly lift your hips 2-3 inches against the floor contracting your ab muscles.
5) Remain in this position for 2-3 seconds and lower your hips towards the floor.
6) Repeat the above steps 10-15 times.
You can perform 2-3 sets of the above steps by taking 60-90 seconds break between each set.
The oblique Crunch Ab Exercise
Oblique crunch exercise primarily targets the fatty side areas of the stomach commonly referred to as love handles. It directly exercises the oblique muscles of the abdomen and upper abs. Follow the below steps to tone your obliques:
1) Lie on the floor on your back placing our hands at the back of your head.
2) Place your left foot on the right knee in a crossing manner.
3) Slowly raise your right shoulder side against the floor maintaining the lower back attached to the floor and twist diagonally your upper body near your left knee.
4) Try to squeeze your obliques and abs when raising your right shoulder side.
5) Slowly lower your right shoulder side towards the floor.
6) Repeat the above ste6) Repeat the above steps 10-15 times, switch sides and continue again.
By following the above ab crunches workouts, you will be on a great start towards obtaining ripped abdominal muscles.
Intelligent people have found this article by searching for:
ab crunch machine
lower ab crunches
ab crunches exercise